From head on, as she cuts through the water, the 262-foot (79.9-meter) Abeking & Rasmussen Excellence looks like a spaceship. Winch Design gave her a reverse bow, double-height mirrored glass and flying-saucer-shaped pods that are visible fore and aft on each deck. Sixteen-foot-high glass panes supported by two thin steel frames form an integral part of the yacht’s exterior. The amount of glass presented a particular challenge for Abeking & Rasmussen, which had to account for the expansion and contraction of the aluminum superstructure as the yacht moves through the water.
Then, there was the fixing of the 1.4 tons of glass panels that needed to be rigid on the outside, so as not to distort the mirror finish. At the same time, the glass needed to be insulated so the yacht’s air conditioning would not be overtaxed. The solution? Each glass panel is composed of three layers, with the mirrored portion behind the top layer. Walking down the side deck, guests see 82 feet of precision glazing, with the mirrored glass reflecting the outdoor scenery.
These are just some of the details that went into creating Excellence.
- LOA: 262ft. 6in. (79.95m);BEAM: 42 ft. (12.8m); DRAFT: 11 ft. (3.4 m); GROSS TONNAGE: 2,115
- Exterior and interior design by Winch Design
- Standing in the mezzanine on the owner’s deck, you can peer over the balustrade, into the main deck salon 33-feet below
- Automotive references throughout the yacht’s interior; for example, In the sky lounge, the backs of the deep cream-colored sofas, take their inspiration from Cadillac seats and have shagreen embossed leather with metal grille detailing on their sides. The handles on the salon cabinets mimic the emblems on the front of premium cars and black-and-white concentric circles on the salon floor and ceiling recall the white wall tires of 50s classics. The furniture louvers in the staterooms look like the grille in front of a car’s hood. The day heads on the main deck are specifically inspired by the Bugatti Royale and Ferrari Daytona Spyder and tire track patterns are carved into the wood panelling.
- Dedicated 9-seat cinema
- Large gym, spa, and sauna area
- Sunken pool on main deck
- 14-seat dining table and bar on bridge deck
- Whimsical owner art collection
- So much more…